Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Thing # 8 - Readers

I love Google Reader!!! I love it for the same reason I love my DVR - I can skip through things quickly and avoid all the advertisements! I appreciated the "Discover" section on Google Reader as it allowed me to search blogs and websites and subscribe to them quickly. It was also nice to learn that you could subscribe to certain sections on websites, versus the entire website. For instance, on most of the news websites you could subsribe to just the articles on politics, or sports, or whatever interests you.

Personally, I love the reader as it allows me to skim things quickly. It will also help me to stay focused on what is important to me versus searching a site at random. Which leads me to question #3!

I can see libraries and classrooms using readers for all sorts of things! One of the greatest challenges for students (myself included) is learning how to search effectively for information and knowing what information is true, accurate and useful. I can envision setting up a reader based on a certain topic or subject area (i.e. information on the upcoming election) that students and teachers could use to scan through the latest information from a variety of quality sites that are preselected by a librarian or media expert. I also think readers would be especially helpful for those students that are easily distracted. I know that pop-ups and advertisements drive me bananas (and are often a little dodgy) and I can imagine them being a serious distraction for some students.

By the way - I never knew that these things were out there in cyberland! How do you find about all of these savvy things???

1 comment:

Book Nook Girl said...

Good ideas for incorporating Google reader into the classroom or library setting. You are right, it is less distracting, no pop-ups, and would be good for students and teachers who are easily distracted!