Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Thing #14

Technorati was fun to play around with...I continue to be amazed at the sheer mass of information on the web as well as all the varied ways to search and label it all! It is all a bit overwhelming. Yes, I can see how all of this can be wonderful and helpful, but I do think that we need to educate our students on how to be conscious consumers of information. Just because you find 100 blogs on something that you are researching doesn't mean all of that information is accurate or worthy. "Popular" sites/blogs are not necessarily accurate or more valuable that others and I think students tend to gravitate to the ones with the most traffic. Don't get me wrong - I think all of this free information is wonderful...we just need to be thoughtful as we discover it all.

1 comment:

Book Nook Girl said...

Amen sister, preach on! You should be a librarian!!