Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Thing #15

I tend to be old fashioned and the whole Library 2.0 thing freaks me out a bit. I imagine walking into a library without books and that completely sends me over the edge. I'm just getting over the loss of the card catalog. However, knowing that most of our young learners are much more technology savvy than I am, I do see the need for libraries and librarians to be able to assist them in navigating through all of the information and search engines that are out there. Honestly though, isn't this what librarians have ALWAYS done? We come to them with our questions and they help up to find the information we need - in whatever shape of form that may come in. So maybe this whole Library 2.0 thing, in its essence, isn't anything that good librarians haven't been doing for centuries. I did appreciate a point in one of the articles that warned against "technolust" - technology for technologies sake. I think we are very guilty of spending millions of dollars on programs and licenses that only a handful of folks really use and that may or may not truly impact student learning.

2 comments:

Book Nook Girl said...

Yea! Great points! These are things good libraians have been doing for years! Don't worry, I can't imagine a time when there will be no books in libraries. The publishing industry is too huge for that! Even though our kids are more tech savy, they still like books and like to curl up with books!

VWB said...

that is one great thing about 2.0 tools ...so many are free and can be obtained at point of need, rather than anticipating the "might need" and having on hand...